Sunday, April 5, 2015

Stuffed Chicken Breasts - YUM

Cooking for me has always been about friends and family and love. It is about taking time and investing a part of myself in creating something for them that they can enjoy. I have to admit I have had those, "it took me all day to make this meal and it's gone in 20 minutes" moments but even those are worth it. Cooking is my art, it is where I get a moment to create and to invent things that others haven't ever done or at least not the way I am doing them. It is how I say, "I love you", or "You matter to me".

Cooking is my art and a gift I give. I am sitting here struggling as I write this blog, I am distracted and need groceries and a grocery list. My house is a mess and I need to clean it. But cooking is so much more fun! So, based on the fact that all the requests I got were for everything or the stuffed chicken breasts, I will start with this recipe.

I have set this recipe up to serve 2 people but it would be crazy easy to make more.

Ingredients:
2 Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts
3 Small Tomatoes (pick a sweet one like capellini)
6 Fresh Basil Leaves (medium to large)
1 Ball of Fresh Mozzarella (you will use about half)
3 Slices Provolone
2 Cups Fresh Spinach (stems trimmed)
Smoked Paprika
Salt and Pepper
Non-stick cooking spray (PAM)

Cooking Utensils:
1 9x13 glass/Pyrex baking dish
Meat Tenderizing Hammer
Plastic Glad Freezer Bag
Tongs

Oven Temp: 350°

Directions:
Slice tomatoes thinly (the goal is to have 12 slices of tomato) and set aside.
Slice 3-4 1/4 inch thick slices of Mozzarella and set aside.
Rinse and pat dry your spinach and basil and separate both into two equal stacks and set aside. - Just a note my basil, spinach, mozzarella and tomatoes I place on a nice large cutting board to have handy.
Place 1 chicken breast in freezer bag. Using tenderizing hammer pound chicken breast starting from the center and working out until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Set aside and repeat process with second chicken breast.
Once this is complete start by layering on half of a chicken breast the following: spinach, basil, mozzarella (1 and 1/2 slices) and three slices of tomato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Gently fold other half of the chicken breast over. Tuck the ends in as you do to protect the cheese.
Once you have completed this lay the chicken in the 9x13 dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat the process with the second piece of chicken.
Now place 3 slices of tomato on top of each piece of chicken and cover them with 1 and 1/2 slices of provolone.
Sprinkle with smoked paprika.

Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and cheese on top is bubbly.

TIME SAVER TIP: If you have a food prep day: slice your mozzarella then and portion your veggies out early. Pound your chicken breast out and put waxed paper between them. You could even make and freeze your stuffed chicken breasts (I would leave the tomatoes out) and just let them thaw a day before you want to make them.

I served this with Kale and Mac and Cheese - I LOVE Annie's Gluten Free Mac and Cheese. It's very cheesy with wonderful noodles and great flavor. This would be good over rice, with broccoli, oven roasted asparagus or brussel sprouts.

Please enjoy - this is a great meal and despite being slightly involved it didn't take long. From start to food on the plate it was about an hour. (I have to admit to having to clean the kitchen during this process so it took a bit longer.)

Below is my picture of the dish, I would love to see you post yours!


Have a blessed Easter!

Catch you later,
Makisa

No comments:

Post a Comment